- DO RSVP by the Deadline, even if you already told the bride that you'd definitely be there. (RSVPs are the hardest thing to get out of people lately....from my experience & others)
- DON'T call the Bride the day of the wedding for ANY reason.
- DO stay upbeat when you talk to the Bride during the months before the big day. She wants to hear that you are excited, not that you have to rearrange your work schedule or can't afford a hotel.
- DON'T wear white OR cream. Enough Said.
- DO book your hotel and airfare early. Many couples include logistical details (like where to stay) on their web sites, along with the name of whom to contact with questions - if not the couple, then a parent or a member of the bridal party. (We don't have a contact person, but I like the concept)
- DON'T bring a gift to the wedding - it might get lost or damaged. The couple will have enough to lug home already. (I think for some people the concept of this is hard because they have been used to it in the past... but makes most sense for the couple)
- DO make a point of greeting the bride & groom. They'll have people around them all night, so it's okay to wait - not hover nearby. (Put down your drink before going for the big hug).
- DON'T show up late to the ceremony or reception, as weddings tend to run on an invisible - but tight - time line. (I'm at fault for doing this... but it was due to getting lost... no excuses leave early. )
- DO help get the party started. That means being one of the first people to hit the dance floor. (I've never had a problem doing this with friends).
- DON'T change your table at the reception. You risk upsetting the seating plans delicate balance.
- DO let the DJ do his job, which means not bugging him with requests - the couple have probably labored over the playlist and have a specific idea about the music they want.
- DON'T take the centerpieces home unless you're told you can. They might be earmarked for charity - or the bride's relatives.
- DO send any photos you take to the couple ASAP - they'll be grateful to hae some shots to show around.
- DO follow up with the newlyweds if you've sent a gift but haven't received a thank-you note within three months.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Saturday, July 12, 2008
We bought what we think will be the ties for the fathers from Macy the other day - it does really help to bring along the groomsmen tie to compare colors - hahah! That was the first time we did that - so the other times Aaron and I were going back and forth if it would match. The dads will also wear the same pants as the groomsmen - as long as we can find the correct sizes - for some reason I can only find the pants in Michigan. Their suits will be different - but that's minor.
We are working on the groomsmen gifts.. and it's coming along - It's hard to buy guys gifts!
After I take the boards on Tuesday, we'll start printing up the address labels for the invitations and get those sent out in the next couple weeks! Yay! So whether I pass or fail... I'm still getting married in October - so that's good! :) haha. I'm looking forward to getting rsvps back and starting the seating chart and getting that figured out.
We found out that our marriage license has a 3 day waiting period - so we bought our tickets to fly into detroit on a Monday - I'll try my dress on and then we'll drive up Tuesday to get to the office in time - then we can pick it up on Friday. So we will be up in Michigan for a week!
I added more rooms to our room block at the Inn - we were nearing the 20 rooms we had blocked and needed to have reserved and the invites haven't even gone out yet - that's great!
Some small touches we talked about at our tasting in May - servers holding small champagne glasses as the guests come down to the ceremony & lumineers (white paper bags w/kitty litter & votive candles inside) to light up the walk way from the ceremony into the club for cocktail hour. The club is also allowing us to make our own cds for cocktail hour & dinner to put in their cd player so we don't have to pay the DJ for those couple hours! This club was throwing out money saving options left & right - it was awesome!
I believe we have chosen our first dance song... that we'll try to keep a surprise... knowing us it may even change! hahah.
I fly up to try on my dress in September for my first fitting - one month from the wedding date!
Our schedules right now completely clash - so we are looking forward to Bri's wedding in a couple weeks in San Diego to have some time together!
The table runners are done! The same seamstress & Aaron's mom are going to make us a ring pillow that will have his grandmothers buttons on them - since she can't physically be at the wedding -we will have something of hers there. The flower girl dress is in the process of being ordered, the Jr. Bridesmaid dress will be made by the seamstress in August when Sydney goes to visit Aaron's parents, the ties have all been bought (lets just hope they fit everyone), rooms have been added, tee times are in the process of being set for the day before the wedding (how fitting), the mom's are looking for their attire - so we need to still look for rings, print up programs, send out invitations, send money to the baker (eek!) and I'm sure there are more things to do!
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
We got some great gifts at the shower and I got lots of underwear and goodies at the bachelorette party! Thank you everyone!!!! It was such a great time!!!!
Once we returned to Florida after an awesome weekend we realized our wedding is 3 months from Friday! Eeeek! is what went through my head! So I had a freak out - we have a list of things still to do.... flowergirl dress... fabric for table runners... favor boxes for OOT bags...favors for reception.... i haven't tried on my wedding dress yet since they sent the WRONG dress... so I still need to do that and a fitting... tailoring of Aaron's wedding attire.... ties for the fathers... dresses for the mothers.... invitations - address labels made - stamped & sent.... cupcake & cookie deposit/form sent.... call about the marriage license.... jr bridesmaid dress made...make the programs...and I'm sure I'm forgetting much more!
After my spasotic moment...my wonderful fiance came to the rescue and made me realize that I'm not in Michigan anymore and that he is here to help and actually WANTS to help since he feels like he hasn't had a part in the wedding yet - who would have known?? How awesome is that - so with his help I know we can do this. AND ...My future mother-in-law called today and told me that we have MORE than enough fabric for the head table runner so we dont' need to buy anymore - so that's awesome - she helped me check that off my list. I'm going to try and fly home in September to try on the wedding dress and then again the week of the wedding - because of the wrong dress being shipped Fantastic Finds (Bridal Salon) is taking care of all of the alterations needed! In order to get our marriage license we need to be up in Emmet County/Petoskey on the Tuesday prior to our wedding in order to pick up the license on Friday - no blood test required!
So... as we are approaching the 4th of July (which I have to work on... but that's ok I've been gone for a week having fun)... I realize that I need to take one day at a time... and ask for help of my fiance....he may not just do things on his own....but with some direction he is willing.
I miss all our family & friends!!!!!